Saturday, March 20, 2010

How to improve the food and food education at a school.

Dear Principal,

I am the parent of one of your 5th grade students, and I am writing to you out of concern for the promotion of healthy food in our school. Nowadays, there is wide access to fast food and more and more children are developing obesity. School is one of the places, where our kids spend most of their time, so they are doomed to it this food. This is why I do strongly support the idea of introduction of healthy food into our school and promoting healthy behavior.

I would like to suggest some ideas of how to improve the food and food education at the school. To begin with, I would remove all vending machines from the school with sugar-sweetened beverages and other unhealthy stuff. Then I would start to sell fresh snacks and water. I can imagine it is going to be very hard accepting these changes but I know it can be done step by step. In this way we are going to adjust our kids' way of thinking about their health.

Secondly, I will introduce some classes, which help to teach young people how their bodies work and why appropriate eating habits are so important. We can hear about the consequences of smoking or drinking alcohol on TV, but nobody talks about the effects of eating harmful food. Especially here in America where there is no food culture we are supposed to be very careful of what we eat.

Another important aspect of how to improve the food and food education in our school is creating a garden, where students can cultivate respect for hard work and real food. They can learn how to grow vegetables in a small environments, so they can use that skill in their own place in the future. Also we can promote physical activity through working outside. Additionally, we can take advantage of local agribusiness and sell these products in the school coffee shop.

I would also provide a cooking class, so the students can get experience with making healthy organic food. After this class they will be able to make a conscious decision about what kind of food they will buy.

So based on all the above mentioned points, I would like to underline once again, that our children's health should be the most important thing in our everyday lives. So I truly believe that my ideas would bring you a fresh point of view on such a valuable issue. Proper education of our kids will give us a new and better generation of people with the right food culture and knowledge, which can improve quality of life.

If I can be of any assistance with this serious educational subject please let me know. You can contact me at (lucylew.blogspot.com)



Sincerely

A parent

Lucyna

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy I really like the suggestions your giving, I wish I would have had a cooking class in high school, kids need to learn about eating healthy food, but i would like to know exactly what food would you suggest they sell in the school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Lucy, nice essay the only thing i can tell you is in 4th paragraph you kind of mixing 2 points creating a garden and physical activity, you could easily split those topics in 2 differnt paragraphs.

    ReplyDelete